Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dorm Life - Moving In

High school graduation is the stepping stone of the college road. From the moment students throw their caps up in the air, the journey begins.

I was really excited to head off to college especially that it was away from home.(I have always believed that it was better for students to go off to college away from home to increase their self independence) I knew it was going to be challenging considering that I practically didn't know anyone there but I always welcomed new challenges. After all, I managed to survive a year in a foreign country and ended up with lifetime friends and relations. Besides, it is the experience that will affect my entire life ahead.

It took me a while to pack up everything I needed though I did write down one long list of what I needed but occasionally I would remember to add a thing or two. When the big day arrived, I headed with my dad to Beirut. He dropped me off, kissed me good bye and wished me the best. Once the dorm security checked my luggage, and checked my dorm ID I was welcomed and approved to go to my room. As the elevator accelerated my heart beats accelerated too. I was both excited and nervous for I have not yet met my roommate. When I got there I looked around for my room which said on the keys "B430". I opened the door and got started to unpack. After I got settled in I was exhausted so I went to bed before my roommate even showed up.

I woke up the next morning and it seemed that my roommate was still unavailable. I headed to the common kitchen near my room to make a cup of coffee before I get to class when I saw a bunch of girls chatting. I greeted them and they did the same and I went back to my room. I got dressed and went to class. Since it was my first day at uni, I didn't know anyone in class and so I didn't get the chance to know who else lived on campus. I thought well, I'll give myself some time to get to know my classmates. There was however this one person that I kinda knew. He is a friend of a friend of mine and we met on the day of the entrance exam to the school of engineering although I found out later on that he knew me way before I knew him. You could say he was my first friend at college and we after a while became best friends. Turns out he was living on campus as well so it was nice to see a familiar face afterwards. 

When I got to my room I started to tidy things up and hoped for my mysterious roommate to appear but she didn't. Almost a week passed by and I didn't get to meet her but I was starting to meet new people around. It turned out that the best place to make new friends was the kitchen! When the girls first told me that I laughed but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. There was always a line for the microwaves especially at lunch time so girls would stay and chat. I got used to the idea and liked it. I started to meet girls from all over Lebanon and in all different majors and schools. It was fun and it did boost my self confidence. Most of the girls were friendly and didn't judge me before knowing me, yet some were rude. Sometimes I could hear them whisper when I come but I didn't give them any attention.

Eventually my roommate came. She seemed nice and friendly and easy going. I liked her. She was from north Lebanon and studying interior design. As an engineering student I started classes before her which is why she didn't show up at first. We got along instantly. However, she didn't want to disturb me since I was studying so she left. I barely saw her since we had very different schedules but the more we talked the more we got along.

She introduced me to her friends that were on the same floor with us. Seems like she was living here before me since she is older than me. It was nice to get to know new people and all the girls seemed adorable and made me feel one of them. 

It started to feel like a new home and like I was part of a new family. But, I still wanted to get to know the girls in my class who also lived on campus but how could that happen when I didn't even know WHO the girls in my class were!


No comments:

Post a Comment