Monday, September 16, 2013

Dorm Life - My Girls!

When you are away from home, your friends become your family especially if they are like my friends- Dorm Friends to be specific.

The past two years were probably the roughest two years I have had so far. My college experience wasn't exactly the way I hoped it would turn out. I studied as hard as I could but my efforts never paid off. However, I don't regret going through it despite all the pain that came along because I made some lifetime friendships.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I didn't know anyone there except my childhood friend but I was building new friendships in no time. I started to know the girls in my class and more specifically those who lived on campus. At first we were only acquaintances. We would say to each other in the dorm kitchens and elevators. We would have small chats before classes started. With time, I got to know the girls more and we started to visit each other's rooms. I started to go over when I had a question about something or when I missed a class. After a month or so, we started to actually bond. We would gather to gossip and laugh, we would support each other when one of us felt homesick or upset. I started to love these girls. There were times where we would grab something to eat together before going to uni or gather for dinner. These girls were amazing. I started to feel that I can talk to them about anything. We had some differences in Religion and politics views but we would always have a civilized discussion. I started to learn new things about the way they think and their live style and vise versa.

Another circle of my dorm friends was the girls I met in the kitchen and got to know them more! Girls were very different than me yet very alike. We would hang out when we were done with our studies. There were times where we spend the night giggling or even crying on each other's shoulders. No matter how tired or busy we were, we always had time for each other. During the times of exams, they would stop by my room to check on me. After exams were over, we would have a get together to catch up again. We used to share secrets and trust each other with our lives.

We had so many adventures during the past two years, some were joyful and other painful.

I remember the hunger attacks that used to take place especially when studying. There was this one day where I finished studying a bit after midnight and I was starving. I had some hamburgers, buns & fries in addition to other types of food. I picked up the phone and called my friend. I asked if she's hungry (although we were kinda always hungry!!!) and she said yes. I told her grab the girls and come to the kitchen near my room. And here we were at 1 A.M four girls eating burgers and drinking soda. We took some videos and pictures for the memory. Those moments were priceless.

There was also the neighbor friend circle too. The girls in the same floor were amazing. We would meet by coincident in a room and meet new girls. It would start by one girl going to her neighbor to perhaps borrow something and by chance another girl would come. Then she would call her roommate to come over. Some girls would hear the sound coming from the room so they would join them too. As for me, it would be when I am headed to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and I would see the door open so I would stop by and say hi. These gatherings usually happened in the evening since everyone would be in there rooms. There were times where we would have a 10 minute conversation in front of our doors until someone would tell us to keep our voices down. We would giggle and head off to our rooms since that usually happened after midnight, yes they had the right to tell us to keep calm but we barely had time to actually sit down all together.

Honestly, there is not enough space or enough words to describe how wonderful the girls are. We were literally family. We lived together, ate together, laughed together, cried together. During the past two years I met so many girls and most of them became my friends. We had tons of fights but within no time we would go back to being friends. We never held a grudge against one another. The day I knew I was transferring schools, I was upset. I knew I was going to miss my dorm friends. I know that I will be in touch with most of them and that I will still see them but it will be different. I can't stand the idea of college life without them around.

I miss my girls but I will always love and cherish them. They mean to me more than I can express and the time we spent together is very valuable to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment