Friday, September 13, 2013

Meeting My Host Family

As if heading off to the States to live there for a year away from my family is not intimidating enough, try to add the idea of living with a host family that you have never met before into the mix!

When I recall the day that I received that phone call from AMIDEAST (the organization that was responsible for the YES exchange program) saying that I was accepted and that I was one of the 45 Lebanese students that would be traveling to the US, I was beyond thrilled. I started to prepare all the paper work needed and I knew that my life would not be the same from this moment on. However, as much relief that phone call brought, it did make me very nervous. I started to wonder about my host family. Who would it be? How are they going to fit me in with their family? Will they accept me the way I am? Will they love me like I am one of them or will I be an outsider stranger?

I waited anxiously to know who my host family is, for I was worried that I might have a hard time being placed. The call finally came and the news was great. I have been placed in Green Bay, Wisconsin with the Leiterman family. I was so excited I couldn't believe it at first. I was placed fairly quickly, I was so happy. I was told that they are a family of five; Dad (Tom), Mom (Vicky), and three boys (Steven, John & Micheal). Once I checked my email inbox and found a message from them I started to communicate with them via email. They sent me a couple photos and shared with me some of their life details. They were the age of my parents' and the boys were like my siblings in age. I knew that we will get along and they seemed very nice.

When the time to travel came, all the YES students first arrive to DC for some orientations and meetings before heading to their host states. Once I got on the plane to Green Bay my nerves kicked it; there was no time to back out now. All I could think about the entire flight was I hope they will like me and accept me. I remember the moment I got off that airplane I felt that I was about to faint. The feeling was overwhelming. The airport was crowded, everyone spoke English, I didn't know where to go or where my luggage was. I wore the Lebanese flag on my shoulders in an attempt to make it easier for my host family to find me. As I was looking around nervously, I spotted them but I wasn't sure so I approached them cautiously hoping that I wasn't mistaken! Then the voice of a sweet lady called my named. I turned around to find her and the Leiterman's next to me.

She introduced herself, her name was Deb and she was my regional coordinator. Behind her stood the Leitermans. They came and welcomed me. I remember them saying "salam" which is Arabic for hi. I loved that gesture, it meant a lot and made me feel part of the family instantly. I met the boys and they were giving me warm smiles. John however stood out the most. He flooded me with questions but I was so confused and overwhelmed that I didn't comprehend anything he said! I was embarrassed and felt awkward that I didn't answer him but you can't blame me for being confused. His parents noticed my reaction and Tom told him to give me a break and to just take some time. That made me laugh but I also worried that John might not like me due to the way I acted. When we went to pick up my luggage, I was so nervous I almost didn't recognize my suitcases! Eventually we got my stuff and they helped me carry them to the car.

The first thing that they told me when we got into the car was to put my seat belt on! That was something new to me since back home we didn't really buckle up for some reason,and I have to admit I heard that sentence way more times than you can imagine! I just did not get along with the seat belt! As we drove home, we stopped by a Mc Donald's to get dinner and when they asked what do I want to eat I froze. I didn't know what to answer and I was shy to tell them. So when Steven ordered I told them like Steve and I secretly prayed that it is something I would like that was pork free! Lucky for me, turns out that Steven and I had the same taste in food and I actually liked it and believe it or not it became my "regular".

When we got home, they showed me my room and gave me time to unpack and settle in. They said that once I was ready dinner was on the table. I recall opening my suitcases, looking around, feeling lost and had the urge to cry. I pulled myself together and went upstairs. I had my dinner and then I excused myself to go take a shower and get changed. The funny part was that at the time, I didn't actually realize the difference between a "shower" and a "bath" and I used the words interchangeably, so it kinda lead to a funny situation until I finally realized it and said "oh sorry, I meant to say shower not bath!".

After I was done, I went upstairs and sat with Tom and Vicky. We talked a bit and went over the house rules. They were extremely nice and made me feel at home.

As much as I felt welcomed, I wasn't able to get any sleep my first night.

It took me a while to differentiate between Steven and John, they looked so alike to me that I honestly had a hard time telling who is who! However, I didn't need anytime to realize how amazing my host family was. They are beyond great to say the least. I became to know how loving and supportive they are very quickly. Tom is very kind and always there to help in anything really from translation to school, and every time I felt down, a hug from him calmed me down and cheered me up. Vicky is so caring and is always making sure we are where we are supposed to be. Her wise words and great sense of humor helped me survive some serious tough days. The boys are all a true blessing and everyone of them is different in a spectacular way. Steven, or as we call him Stevo, is very easy going. We got along the most. He made studying fun and got me thinking every time we had a discussion / scholastic argument! John, or as we call him John John, is the one that always made feel at home the most. He has a temper like mine, we shared laughs almost always and every time I felt homesick he was the one to put a smile on my face. Micheal, or as we call him Mickey, is the youngest and most adorable one. He was like my youngest brother that I loved to share my chocolate with! Whenever I wanted to do something fun, Mickey was my man for it.

There is honestly not enough words to describe my love to the Leitermans. They are the best. I am so honored that I am a member of their family. I am so thankful for the way they opened their home for me and treated me as one of them. All my achievements in the States is mainly because of them. They were always motivating me and pushing me to limits and beyond. They respected my religion and were open minded to my opinions despite the differences we have. They taught me tolerance and acceptance of the other. They gave me the best experience any exchange student could wish for. All the places we visited, all the activities we did, all the time we spent together, I am so grateful. I was blessed to have them as my host family and they changed my life forever in ways they don't even know. I am very thankful for everything they did. I truly hope that we will always be a family despite the distances between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment