Monday, September 16, 2013

Navy, Columbia Blue & White ... Here Comes The Pirates!

After I got the news that I was accepted to be a part of the YES exchange program, I was placed with the Leitermans in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The placement information also said that I will be attending Bay Port High School. There was a link to the school's website so I checked it out. I was very excited to attend there especially that it was my first year in high school since in Lebanon, high school is grades 10,11 and 12 unlike the States where 9th grade was also in high school.

The first time I went with my host parents to see my new school I was both excited and nervous. We met with the principal who was very welcoming and nice. He explained to us the rules and how the system works at the school. He told us about all the activities and clubs they had and encouraged me to participate as much as I can. He told me that the Bay Port mascot was the Pirate and that the school's colors were navy, columbia blue and white, or in plain english blue and white! Afterwards, he gave us a tour and showed us where everything was located such as the library, the gym and the auditorium. I was so confused and felt already lost for the school was huge! It was nothing like our high schools back home. I would have to run back and forth between my classes whereas back home we would stay in the same room all day and teachers would come over. I had to learn my locker combination and get to know how to unlock it, I never had a locker before! When the tour was over, we went and met my counselor who helped me choose my classes and set up my schedule. As an exchange student, I was registered as a senior that way I can take almost any class I want. I tried my best to take as many courses similar to what my friends back home were taking so that when I got back I wouldn't be behind. That was a bit challenging since the academic system varied widely between the States and Lebanon.

I remember that my first day was September 1st, 2008. I knew it was going to be a serious challenge since not only did I not know anyone yet, but also it was the first day of Ramadan (the Holy month where we as Muslims would fast from sunrise to sunset). 

My host dad offered me the night before that he would walk me to the bus stop since all of this was new to me. He made sure that I knew what my bus number was so that I don't end up God knows where!! After I got on, I sat on an empty seat by myself since I didn't know anyone. Once I got to Bay Port I went to the main office to get some help getting around. Although I had already had my schedule with the color coded map of the school I was still lost. I was happy to know that they had assigned me two lovely girls to help me throughout my first day and make sure I would be in class on time. Tardiness was never accepted and I didn't want to be marked absent on my first day. Since the girls were making sure I am where I am supposed to be, they were given hallway passes that allowed them to be out of class after the bell rang so that they can get to their classes without getting in trouble. However, as much help they provided we did face a small problem. The LOCKERS. For some reason, I had this phobia of the locker combination. I was too nervous to get the hang of it and I was losing my patience since several tries and all were a failure. Luckily, the girls were there to help.

All the teachers were extremely nice and welcomed me with warm talks. Most of them introduced me to the class since I was an exchange student and most of them have never heard about Lebanon before. I have to admit, I was nervous for I thought that I will be judged for being a Muslim coming from the Middle East. I was wrong and I send my apologies. Of course there were some students that alienated me but they were very few. Most of them were excited and had tons of questions that I was gladly answering. All the teachers were more than supportive and told me that they were ready to help me when I needed help. It was so nice to get to talk to them for I learned about their culture and they learned about mine. They never made feel like an outsider or different by any way. I also had my concerns for I thought that the teachers might have a hard time understanding what I was saying due to my pronunciation problem but I never faced that problem. They were extremely patient and listened carefully. I was so happy and they made my experience in the States so much easier. They made me feel like I belonged there. They were always motivating and encouraging me. Their positive comments always gave me warmth in my heart. I am sure they don't know that but they played a major role in building my self confidence. I was a shy person that was too scared to talk to strangers and they turned me into a confident young lady that wouldn't let anything stand in the way of her dreams. If only I can ever thank them enough. I never hesitated to ask anyone of them anything whether about school or anything else. 

I miss every single one of this amazing family at Bay Port and I know that the chances of meeting any of them again is very slight and negligible but I will always have them in my heart. I will always think of them wishing them that life treats them well. I will always be thankful for them for changing my life in a ways I never thought about. I hope that some of them get a hold of this post and think of me as someone that perhaps changed something in their lives. 

Bay Port taught me not only what is in the books, but also acceptance of the others and gave me some life skills that I will always be thankful for. 

Forever a Pirate.






No comments:

Post a Comment