Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dorm Life - New Roommate

My roommate and I were getting along pretty well and I was glad to have her.

Everything seemed perfect. I was studying day by day and making new friends. I got to meet some of the girls that were in my class who turned out to be on the same floor as mine. But you know how sometimes wonder and say "well, this is too good to be true!" ? Yeah, it was one of those situations unfortunately. 

I came to my room one day just to find out that my roommate was moving. She told me that she is moving in to her friend's room since they were both in the same faculty and can work on their projects together. She also said that due to her major, there would be times where she needs to pull an all nighter and she didn't want to bother me. I have to admit I felt sad because the two of us were starting to become friends but after all I didn't want to make her uncomfortable. She said that she will be staying in the same floor and she will be a couple rooms away so we will still get to see each other. 

It was only a few days before that my friend from school (whom I've known for 13 years) moved to live on campus too. She was in block E and I was in block B, so when my roommate cleared the room I told my friend to move in with me. Usually when someone wanted to switch rooms, it was a mess. You would have to go with your current roommate and the person you are switching with to the administration so that they approve the request after they made sure that everyone involved agreed and not forced to do so. Since I was roommate-less I thought it was the perfect opportunity for my friend to move in. My ex-roommate told me that we should go and talk with the administration as soon as possible since they will get me a new roommate. We didn't waste anytime and I headed with  my friend to ask them to move her to my room.

The dorm administration offices was a different world. It was overly crowded and you could barely breath in there. People were receiving their room keys, others switching rooms, some fighting with their roommates.. It was insanely chaotic. We waited for what seemed like forever for our turn when they finally called us in. We went and I explained to the person in charge of the room shifting what our situation was. I told him that my roommate moved out today and my friend wanted to move in. We were so confident that he would approve since there was no roommate to make things difficult for us but it turned out we were in for a shocking unpleasant surprise. After he searched for my room on his computer he said what we least expected. "We can't move your friend to your room since you already have a roommate." I tried to explain to him that my roommate just moved out, there must be some error but he insisted that I was mistaken. When I asked him what my roommate's name was I was shocked. The name he gave me was different than that of my ex-roommate's. Then everything was clear. They have already got me a new roommate. When I tried to ask about when did that happen, since it was very soon, he said that there is a very high demand on the dorm and applicants were still flooding in. I asked him if we still wanted to switch, is it still possible? He said that I would have to wait for new roommate to come, convince her to switch rooms with my friend, then come back to his office to finalize the process. I knew that was not going to be easy especially that block B was supposedly better than block E but I wasn't going to give up before trying.

The next day I came to my room after my classes and my roommate was not here yet. My friend came over after I was done studying when there was a light knock on my door. Before I got time to open, the door was wide open and there was my new roommate with all her luggage. I greeted her and welcomed her although I wasn't exactly happy that she was moving in. I started to talk to her and I told her that before she unpacks about what happened earlier. I explained to her that my friend and I have known each other since preschool and she wanted to move in with me. My new roommate wasn't very cooperative. My friend and I offered to help her move her things to block E but she kept on mumbling and saying that she doesn't like to move around much and stuff like that. I didn't like the sound of that but I wasn't going to force her into doing anything. 

My new roommate and I did get along but not as much as the one before her. We just weren't on the same page. She was also older than me and she was in the faculty of sciences. I did my best to get along with her since we were going to live together the entire year and I didn't have time for cat fights! I do have a strong personality so I did draw some lines. I liked my roommate but I didn't appreciate her invading my privacy. There was one day when I got to the room early and found her on my laptop without previous permission. It did bother me but I didn't say anything. All I did was protect my laptop with a password! When she tried to explain herself, I told her that I wouldn't mind borrowing her my computer all she needed to do was ask not sneak behind my back. She didn't stay in the room much, most of the days she would go sleep at her house which made no sense to me. If you live nearby, then why do you need a dorm room? But I never said anything, it was non of my business. I don't know if part of that was my mistake since I drew some red lines but I don't think I ever said anything to harm her yet I had to make things clear. I am a mirror of your acts, if you are nice I would be nice but there are certain things that are not tolerated. 

The year went by and we were roommates until a month before uni ended. We never had any troubles or fights but we weren't close friends either. The reason why we didn't stay roommates was because she left a month early. She said she was going back to live at home. 

When she left, they got me another new roommate but she didn't stay a day. She told me that they placed her temporarily with me until they found an empty room for two since they wanted to live together. To my luck, that happened quickly. The next day she moved out and I was roommate-less for the rest of the year. 

If you are wondering about my first roommate, well we became really good friends and more like sisters. I am so glad we got to know each other even if we didn't live together much!





No comments:

Post a Comment