Monday, September 16, 2013

Go Pack Go!

When I found out that I was placed in Green Bay, Wisconsin, I went to the internet to get some information about the place that I will be calling home for the next year. I read a bit about the climate there, the history of the area and saw some pictures on Google maps. It seemed like a cool place and I was excited to get there. However, I didn't realize that I missed out on a very important detail about Green Bay. The Packers!

I always knew that people in the States were into sports but I had no idea that it was a crucial part of their lives.

Throughout the orientations that we went through before arriving to our host states, I heard advisors talk about the Packers and the cheese heads the minute I tell them I am headed to Green Bay. I had no clue what they were talking about so I smiled, nodded, and secretly wondered what in the world are they talking about!

When I first arrived at the Leiterman's and got settled in, I started to realize what confused me before. The first thing I noticed in my room were two huge helmets above my bed, a yellow one and a red one. I got to know later on that the yellow one was for the Green Bay Packers and the red one was for the Wisconsin Badgers.

So for those of you who don't know, turns out that the Packers were the local football team of Green Bay.

I remember my first Packers' game. My host mom told me that we were going to see the Packer's play. I was starting to get used to the idea about how important sport events is in the States and was being introduced to new kinds of sports that we don't have back home in Lebanon, such as baseball. It never occurred to me that "football" might be a new sport! Even though Lebanese people are not into sports as Americans, but they still cared about a couple sports mainly Basketball and Football. I was excited to go to the game for I thought I would be watching and understanding since I didn't get baseball instantly.

I had absolutely no idea that I was going to be shocked.

We arrived at the stadium - Lambeau Field and it was crowded to say the least. I have never in my life seen anything like this before. Besides the size of the stadium, it was the all the enthusiasm around me that kinda freaked me out. Everywhere I looked, I would see people dressed up in green and yellow, some were shirtless and had their chest and faces painted, others were holding those huge foam fingers, not to forget the foam cheese people wore on their heads. Everyone had the Packers' fever. Men, women, teens, kids, old people, babies...EVERYONE! As we walked through the gates and went to find our seats, I was overwhelmed by everything I was seeing. It was such a new experience for me and I was enjoying it.

I was too excited to wonder to myself why did they need helmets, but as the game started I found my answer.

When we arrived at our seats, I looked at the playground and it didn't look familiar at all. There were no goal nets; instead there were these yellow bars that I had no idea what they are for. Things got stranger as the players arrived at the field. They were wearing helmets and those people were huge! As they started to play I was like what in the world?! This is not football! What is this??

Turns out that what we call football, Americans call soccer and what they call football we didn't know this sport. I remember having long conversations trying to understand why they call it football since they don't use their feet to to kick the ball or anything.

I was confused and had no idea what this was. After some time I started to enjoy watching the Packers even if I didn't comprehend what was going on. I enjoyed being around people and was liking the idea of being a Packer fan and a cheese head. There were countless times however where the fans would be cheering the team and singing songs and I would have no idea what they were saying. My host dad would always laugh when I tell him "what are they saying?!" but after some time I got the hang of it.

Community service was a big deal to me while I was in the States. I wanted to give back to the community and at the same time get the chance to learn more about the American culture. For that reason, I volunteered to help the Lions Club at the football games.They would give out free items for the fans for charity causes. Believe it or not I never missed a game! Even when it was freezing I would go and do my best.

For my luck, during that year the Packers went to Super bowl (which is the annual champion game of football). It was pretty cool to get to see that. It was all that people talked about.

Looking back now, I have to admit I miss the football games. They were so much fun to watch and a nice activity to enjoy with the entire family. I still catch up on the news of the Packers ever now and then via the social media and it puts a smile on my face.

I am proud to say I am still a Packer fan and a cheese head!
(one more thing if you are wondering about the cheese head thing and what does it have to do with the Packers, well Wisconsin is the dairy land of the States and that is where the nickname came from).

Go Pack Go!














No comments:

Post a Comment